PhD student - Research Engineer / Scientist M/W/X
Oferta en Bélgica de Físicos y astrónomos
Clasificación del trabajo: Profesionales científicos e intelectuales : Profesionales de las ciencias y de la ingeniería : Físicos, químicos y afines : Físicos y astrónomos.
Intellectuele, wetenschappelijke en artistieke beroepen : Wetenschappers en ingenieurs : Natuur- en aardwetenschappers : Natuurkundigen en astronomen
Descripción de la oferta de trabajo:
The first part of the project aims to characterize the actual inert gas state during changing environmental and physiological conditions using experiments, and to develop a novel inert gas exchange model. In a second part, the obtained model is applied to specific military operations; the results of the analysis will allow providing a set of suggestions and operational recommendations to minimize the DCS risk while maximizing the operational capabilities. These issues are of greatest concern for the Belgian Defense.
Despite the current DCS mitigation measures, an actual occurrence of DCS is still anticipated during very-high-altitude mission, for both the A400M aircrew and parachute jumpers of the Special Operations Forces. Also, observations indicate that loadmasters are sensitive to develop DCS symptoms during VHA operations because they sometimes perform strenuous physical work at altitude, and they may encounter repeated altitude exposures with short ground intervals. Furthermore, the divers of the Belgian Navy, using the newly acquired commercial dive computer, using the current default algorithm settings, encounter operational limitations. These settings should in theory lead to safer dives - however, an initial analysis suggests that, contrarily, these conservative settings could potentially increase the risk of DCS. It would thus mean exposing the divers to a greater risk while reducing the operational capabilities. The successful completion of the project will allow to identify more accurately the actual DCS risk for our military personnel, and to provide a set of suggestions and operational recommendations to minimize the DCS risk while maximizing the operational capabilities.
- Contribute to the development of the measurement setup (both hardware and software)
- Develop analysis methods and numerical models for the construction of a biophysical gas exchange model
- Define the test matrix of the experimental runs
- Perform the inert gas exchange measurements
- Perform the analysis of the measurements
- Define and optimize operational decompression strategies, and formulate suggestions for high-altitude flying and diving operations. Report the obtained results at international conferences or workshops.
- Write scientific papers in (peer-reviewed) international journals.
- Prepare a PhD thesis in the framework of this project and in collaboration with other Belgian or foreign universities
- Probable date of recruitment: October 1st, 2021.
- Status: Full-time employment based on an open-ended contract with the Patrimony of the Royal Military Academy (you will not be a civil servant).
- The study will last 4 years, until end September 2024.
- Wage scale: A11 (holders of a Master Degree) / A21 (Ir or holders of a Master Degree in Engineering Sciences (Applied Sciences))
- Possibility to obtain a bonus for bilingualism (Dutch/French);
- Holiday pay;
- End-of-year bonus;
- Hospitalization insurance;
- Bicycle allowance / Free public transport (home-work commute);
- Free access to the on-campus sport infrastructure;
- On-campus restaurant and cafeteria with discount on the daily menu.
- Royal Military Academy, Avenue de la Renaissance 30, 1000 Brussels and Military Hospital Queen Astrid, Bruynstraat 1, 1120 Brussels
- Some experiments may be conducted in the Naval Base Zeebrugge, the Military Airport Melsbroek or in other locations.
- The applicant shall have a master's degree in engineering sciences, with an interest in aerospace or diving engineering.
- He/she shall have expert knowledge of currently employed inert gas decompression models in the military diving setting and capable of understanding the inner working principles of other common (diving and aerospace) decompression algorithms.
- He/she shall have experience in the participation / organization of experimental test campaigns, preferably involving human test subjects in aerospace research studies.
- Education in or experience with biomedical signal processing is mandatory.
- Good programming skills in Matlab or Python is highly recommended.
- You conduct scientific research in an independent and upright way within a multidisciplinary environment.
- You think in an innovative and creative way.
- You communicate your results in a clear, concise and precise manner.
- You take initiative.
- You commit yourself in your job by giving the best of your aptitudes in striving toward the highest quality standards.
- You are able to have a good contact with the volunteers participating to the tests.
- Experience in underwater (SCUBA) diving is an added value
- A very good written and spoken knowledge of English and one official national language (Dutch or French) is an absolute requirement.
- A good working knowledge of the other official national language is a plus.
- The researcher may be exposed to confidential information and will therefore have to obtain the required security clearance. The candidate must consent with the background check required to obtain this clearance, which will be executed by Belgian Defense.
País del trabajo: Bélgica.
Número de puestos: 1.
Empleador: ECOLE ROYALE MILITAIRE.
Instrucciones para solicitar:
Identificador de la vacante:1457569.
Ofertas de trabajo similares:
- PhD student - project "A4S" (Artificial Intelligence) M/W/X. Bélgica, 07 May. 2021.
- project manager M/V/X. Bélgica, 29 Abr. 2021.
- Master bio-sciences ¿ doctoraatsproject Toegepaste genomica (bursaal) M/V/X. Bélgica, 24 Abr. 2021.
- Research medewerker fytopathologie (bio-ingenieur). Bélgica, 10 Mar. 2021.
- Jr. Researcher Plant Virology. Bélgica, 10 Mar. 2021.
- Research Engineer / Scientist (M/F) (ref Project: MSP/21-08) M/W/X. Bélgica, 02 Mar. 2021.
- Senior Research Engineer / Scientist (Project iMUGS Senior) M/W/X. Bélgica, 27 Feb. 2021.