PhD scholarship in ice-sheet modelling - DTU Space
Trabajar en Dinamarca (Københavns omegn) de profesor de educación superior/profesora de educación superiora
Clasificación del trabajo: Profesionales científicos e intelectuales › Profesionales de la enseñanza › Profesores de universidades y de la enseñanza superior › Profesores de universidades y de la enseñanza superior › profesor de educación superior/profesora de educación superiora.
Traducción de la profesión: Arbejde, der forudsætter viden på højeste niveau inden for pågældende område › Undervisning og pædagogisk arbejde › Undervisning og forskning ved universiteter og højere læreranstalter › Undervisning og forskning på universiteter og højere læreranstalter.
Descripción de la oferta de trabajo:
If you want to pursue a career as a scientist and you are looking for the best possible foundation for fulfilling your dreams and ambitions, it is right here in front of you. At DTU Space we seek candidates with a strong interest in glaciology for a PhD position in “Understanding the recent behaviour of major outlet glaciers in Greenland”.
You will break new ground at the absolute forefront of observing and modeling two of Greenland’s largest glaciers -- Jakobshavn Isbræ and the Northeast Greenland Ice stream (NEGIS). You will use GNSS data, satellite altimetry, ice flow maps and other relevant data to model both recent (.c 1990-present) and future (present-2300) outlet glacier changes under different UN IPCC climate scenarios. Both glaciers have experienced massive retreat and will be important contributors to Greenland’s future ice loss.
Responsibilities and qualifications
Your overall focus will be to strengthen the department’s competencies within modeling ice flow and use a variety of observations to assess models, which is central to DTU Space’s strategic effort in the area of geodesy. You will be affiliated to the division of geodesy and earth observations, which is one of the six divisions comprising DTU Space.
You will work in close collaboration with colleagues at both DTU, and with academic partners in both Denmark (GEUS), as well as abroad. To follow the DTU program you will be granted a unique study environment, together with several PhDs and Post Docs in related fields.
Your primary tasks will be to improve simulations of Jakobshavn Isbræ and Northeast Greenland Ice stream (NEGIS) using the open-source NASA Ice Sheet and Sea level Model (ISSM) model. A key element is understanding thermal and sliding conditions at the ice-bed interface. The current generation of ice-flow models have strong disagreement over whether the ice-bed interface is frozen or thawed beneath ~28% of the Greenland ice sheet. This limits the accuracy with which we can project the future ice-sheet contribution to sea-level rise.
You will be expected to perform original research that aims at improving our understanding of past, present and future changes in the ice flow and geometry of Jakobshavn Isbræ and NEGIS.
Furthermore; your task will be to,
- Simulate Jakobshavn Isbræ and the Northeast Greenland Ice stream within the ISSM framework.
- Project future ice loss under a range of UN IPCC scenarios.
- Model relative sea-level change along coastal Greenland.
- Evaluate ISSM parameterization using GNSS data, surface altimetry, and satellite-derived ice flow.
- Publish the new findings in the international peer-reviewed literature.
- Present your research at international conferences and participate in relevant project meetings
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and be able to work as part of a team to achieve ambitious goals
- Teach and co-supervise BSc and MSc student projects
- Potentially participate in Arctic field campaigns
We expect that you have:
- Experience in working with large data sets and development of algorithms.
- At least basic knowledge in glaciology or geodesy.
- Good expertise in programming, e.g. in Python, MATLAB, or other high-level programming languages.
You must have a two-year master's degree (120 ECTS points) or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to a two-year master's degree.
Approval and Enrolment
The scholarship for the PhD degree is subject to academic approval, and the candidate will be enrolled in one of the general degree programs at DTU. For information about our enrolment requirements and the general planning of the PhD study program, please see the DTU's rules for the PhD education
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation, and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The period of employment is 3 years.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here
Further information may be obtained from Professor Shfaqat Abbas Khan ( abbasspace.dtu.dk
) and Senior Researcher William Colgan at GEUS (wicgeus.dk).
You can read more about “
Geodesy and Earth Observations”
at www.space.dtu.dk and at
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark
. Furthermore, you have the option of joining our monthly free seminar “PhD relocation to Denmark and startup “Zoom” seminar
” for all questions regarding the practical matters of moving to Denmark and working as a PhD at DTU.
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 6 October 2023 (23:59 Danish time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file
containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file
. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
You may apply prior to obtaining your master's degree but cannot begin before having received it.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
has about 210 employees, an annual turn-over of about 140 MDKK and it is located at the Lyngby Campus of the Technical University of Denmark together with 19 other institutes within the technical sciences. As the National Space Institute, DTU Space is the leading institution of public space activities in Denmark. The mission of the Institute is to conduct research, development, public sector consultancy, education, and innovation at the highest international level within the following areas: Space Technology & Instrumentation, Earth Observation & Geoscience and Space- & Astrophysics.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programs, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 13,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
País del trabajo: Dinamarca.
Región: Københavns omegn.
Número de puestos: 1.
Empleador: Danmarks Tekniske Universitet.
Instrucciones para solicitar:
Please apply using one of the specified channels
Forma de contacto:
- Ciudad: Kongens Lyngby; Código postal: 2800; Calle: Anker Engelunds Vej, Número: 101
- Sitio web: https://efzu.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/da/sites/CX_1/job/2301
Oferta de trabajo obtenida del portal Eures, con fecha 01 de Septiembre de 2023, y con identificador de la vacante:5899859.
Ver las 223 ofertas de trabajo de Profesionales científicos e intelectuales › Profesionales de la enseñanza › Profesores de universidades y de la enseñanza superior › Profesores de universidades y de la enseñanza superior › profesor de educación superior/profesora de educación superiora ofertadas.
Ofertas de trabajo similares:
- 2½-yr postdoc modelling large herbivore impacts on soil carbon in rewilded landscapes. Dinamarca, 29 Nov. 2023.
- One Postdoctoral Research Position in Cancer Immunotherapy at the National Center for Cancer Immune Therapy (CCIT-DK), Copenhagen Area, Denmark. Dinamarca, 29 Nov. 2023.
- Professor(s) at the Department of Dentistry and Oral Health. Dinamarca, 28 Nov. 2023.
- Postdoc in signal transduction in innate immunology. Dinamarca, 21 Nov. 2023.
- 3-year assistant professor position within grazing systems for dairy cows with a special focus on nutrition and reduction of environmental and climate impact. Dinamarca, 18 Nov. 2023.
- Assistant Professor of Infection Immunity. Dinamarca, 18 Nov. 2023.
- 2 year Post Doc position in Danish National Center for Digital Technology Comprehension at Aarhus University. Dinamarca, 18 Nov. 2023.
- Tenure Track in Freshwater Ecology at Aarhus University, Denmark. Dinamarca, 18 Nov. 2023.