PhD position in Medical Technology. Møre og Romsdal
Búsqueda en Noruega (Møre og Romsdal) de Profesores de universidades y de la enseñanza superior
Clasificación del trabajo: Profesionales científicos e intelectuales : Profesionales de la enseñanza : Profesores de universidades y de la enseñanza superior : Profesores de universidades y de la enseñanza superior.
Professionals : Teaching professionals : University and higher education teachers : University and higher education teachers
Descripción de la oferta de trabajo:
Jobbnorge ID: 178879
This is NTNU
At NTNU, creating knowledge for a better world is the vision that unites our 7 000 employees and 40 000 students.
We are looking for dedicated employees to join us.
About the position
We are looking for a motivated employee to work as a PhD student in medical technology toward the realisation of a simulator for computer haptic-assisted orthopaedic surgery (CHAOS). This R&D project is an active collaboration between the Cyber-Physical Systems Lab at NTNU in Ålesund, the Biomechanics Lab at the Ålesund hospital, and Sunnmøre MR-klinikk.
This scholarship is an educational position that will provide opportunities for professional development in the form of completing a PhD. The position will be linked to the PhD programme in Engineering Cybernetics (or another relevant programme) at the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, NTNU. The candidate's main office will be together with colleagues in the CPS Lab at the Department of ICT and Natural Sciences on Campus Ålesund.
The position reports to the Head of Department.
Main duties and responsibilities
The ultimate goal of the CHAOS project is to develop a simulator for virtual inspection and intervention of human joints. Several objectives must be fulfilled to achieve this goal:
- Development of procedures for robotic examination of human joints and collection of physiological data
- Development of methods for automatic segmentation of medical images into anatomically correct geometric 3D models of joints, structures, and tissue
- Analysis of physiological data from robotic testing, medical imaging, and other sources for construction of physiologically realistic 4D models of joints, structures, and tissue
- Development of a VR/AR/XR simulator environment with realistic haptic feedback for virtual orthopaedic surgery
The Biomechanics Lab at Ålesund hospital was opened during spring 2019 and contains a Kuka KR6 robot with a 6-DOF force sensor for examination of human joints. Procedures for determining kinematic properties have already been established but it remains to develop methods for determining dynamic properties of joints, e.g., through point pressure examination. Machine vision and anatomical models based on medical images can assist the robot with internal models and "eyes" for better examinations. Physiological models are needed for a future simulator to produce accurate haptic feedback during virtual surgery. The candidate's main focus is envisioned to be on the third objective above whilst also contributing to one or more of the other objectives.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master's degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in Electrical Engineering or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU's grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
The applicant must have good knowledge and skills in several of the following areas:
- programming, e.g. Python or Matlab
- signal processing, image processing, machine vision
- robotics, electronics, microcontrollers, interfacing
- artificial intelligence and machine learning
- system identification and control systems
- mathematical modelling (e.g. differential equations) and optimisation
- Good communication skills
- Profound English skills, both oral and written. Knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language is beneficial
- The candidate must be independent, have great work capacity and enthusiasm for research.
- The candidate is expected to contribute to a good research and work environment.
- Personal qualities such as creativity, analytical, and structured reasoning, as well as the ability to carry out projects will be considered in the selection process.
- The candidate is expected to be motivated to work closely with the Biomechanics Lab and Sunnmøre MR-klinikk as required, including field work at these locations.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, which normally implies a salary at gross NOK 479 600 per year. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years at 100 % employment. Duration may be prolonged if employment is reduced due to integrated PhD (part time with master studies) or if combined with teaching employment. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Engineering Cybernetics or another relevant programme.
As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to the Head of Department Anniken Th. Karlsen , e-mail anniken.t.karlsenntnu.no, phone +47 90 74 17 04; Associate Professor Robin T. Bye , e-mail robin.t.byentnu.no , phone + 47 400 82 880; or Associate Professor Webjørn Rekdalsbakken , e-mail webjorn.rekdalsbakkenntnu.no, phone +47 473 74 179. Details of the application process can be obtained from the Office Manager Lasse Gallefoss , e-mail lasse.gallefossntnu.no, phone +47 70 16 13 39 / 906 37 077.
About the application:
evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered.
Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
Application deadline: 01.02.2020.
Se annonsen og søk på stillingen www.jobbnorge.no
País del trabajo: Noruega.
Región: Møre og Romsdal.
Número de puestos: 1.
Tipo de contrato: Jornada completa.
Empleador: Høgskolen i Ålesund (NTNU).
Instrucciones para solicitar:
Identificador de la vacante:15041912000062.
Ver las 556 ofertas de trabajo de Profesionales científicos e intelectuales : Profesionales de la enseñanza : Profesores de universidades y de la enseñanza superior : Profesores de universidades y de la enseñanza superior ofertadas.
Ofertas de trabajo similares:
- Stipendiat i rein matematikk. Noruega, 10 Dic. 2019.
- Førsteamanuensis/førstelektor i fysioterapi. Noruega, 06 Dic. 2019.
- Førsteamanuensis/førstelektor/ universitetslektor i pedagogikk innen lærerutdanningene (PPU-Y). Noruega, 06 Dic. 2019.
- PhD RESEARCH FELLOW IN MATERIALS PHYSICS - FERROELECTIC DOMAINS AND DOMAIN WALLS FOR NANOELECTRONIC. Noruega, 06 Dic. 2019.
- PhD position in Gamification of Information Security Education and Training. Noruega, 05 Dic. 2019.
- Doavttergrádastipendiáhtta dárogielas. Noruega, 05 Dic. 2019.
- Stipendiat i musikkvitenskap tilknyttet musikkarv og tradisjonsmusikk. Noruega, 05 Dic. 2019.